Can Massages Help Back Pain ?
For most people, the answer is probably 'yes', because massage is non-invasive and is considered a very low risk for most people. In addition to the physical benefits, certain types of massage has been shown to help psychologically through relaxation and increased production of hormones 'good feeling' that the body naturally produces (endorphins) - help people with back problems acute and chronic back pain. This article explains why massage may be for you.
Benefits of massage
Massage therapy is becoming more widely accepted in the medical community as a credible treatment for various types of back pain and / or as an adjunct to other medical treatments. Research shows that massage therapy has several potential health benefits for people with back pain, including:
* Increased blood flow and circulation, which carries nutrients needed for muscle and tissue. This helps in the recovery of muscle soreness from physical activity or injury to soft tissue (such as muscle tension).
* Decrease the tension in the muscles. This muscle relaxation to increase flexibility, reduce pain caused by strained muscles and even improve the quality of sleep.
* The rate increases endorphins - the "feel good" chemicals in the brain. This mood enhancer to alleviate depression and anxiety, which can help reduce pain and speed recovery - especially important for those who suffer from chronic back or neck problems.
Massage Therapy May Help Numerous Back Problem
Many health care providers say they would encourage their patients to undergo massage therapy in addition to medical treatment. You may want to ask your doctor for a referral to a professional massage therapist in your area. There are many back problems may benefit from massage therapy, including:
* The muscle tension in the lower back or upper back / neck. Most episodes of acute low back pain is caused by muscle strain, such as from lifting heavy objects, sudden movements or falls. Back pain can be very severe and last for several hours, several days or even weeks. When the back muscles are strained or torn, the area around the muscles can become inflamed. With inflammation, the muscles in the back can spasm and cause severe lower back pain and difficulty moving. The muscles of the upper back is also prone to irritation, either due to lack of strength or overuse injuries (such as repetitive movements). upper back pain may also be due to certain events, such as muscle tension, sports injury or car accident.
* Osteoarthritis of the spine. Arthritis of the spine, is composed of cartilage between the facet joints in the back of the spine. Facet joint degeneration of the joints become inflamed and create pain for bone rubbing on bone. Massage therapy can help reduce osteoarthritis pain by increasing circulation and reducing stress and muscle tension. However, it is important to find a professional who is specially trained in treating people with arthritis.
* Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia can differ setap people, but is usually characterized by pain, stiffness, fatigue and / or non-restorative sleep. Patients usually feel widespread pain and pain in a specific place "tender points". Massage can target both tender points and more widely distributed pain and stiffness. Although the massage is relatively safe, it is always advisable for the patient to first check with their doctor before starting a massage therapy or other treatments. There are some contraindications for massage therapy are such as: a new operation; infectious diseases of the skin, rashes, or unhealed wounds; varicose veins; and osteoporosis.
Massage Therapy Treatment for Back Pain and Neck Pain
Patients often ask: What kind of massage should I try? For overall relaxation and circulation, many patients find the Swedish massage techniques will help. This technique is characterized by long sweep mengurut.Pijat slide and motion shiatsu is a popular technique that utilizes multiple elements neuromuscular therapy.
With neuromuscular therapy, the therapist repeatedly apply concentrated pressure (10-30 seconds) in the field of muscle spasms. The patient will feel pain or discomfort from pressure, but a muscle spasm is reduced after the massage. Any pain from the pressure should subside within 1 to 3 days, and the muscles that work must be relaxed for one or two weeks later. A typical program of massage therapy for muscle spasms consist of four sessions over 6 weeks.
Alternatives In addition to Hand Massage
What if you can not meet the schedule with your therapist? Because things like a busy schedule, no therapist near your place, or personal privacy reasons, there may be other alternatives. There are many therapeutic products available for home use, such as handheld massagers and massage cushions, which are designed with the goal of mimicking some techniques used by massage therapists. One of the tools that can be tried is a massage chair. Most massage chairs are designed to mimic Shiatsu and Swedish massage techniques, potentially helping to point the particular pain in the back or neck and for overall relaxation.
Patients with severe back pain should be examined by medical personnel before starting massage therapy, and patients should always get an accurate medical diagnosis for the cause of their back pain before starting new treatments such as massage therapy to consider a potentially serious condition. Many professional massage therapy will work as part of an interdisciplinary health care team for evaluation and treatment of patients.