UNDERSTANDING BACK PAIN
Pain back pain is a common disease that people suffer and is one of the common conditions that can interfere with daily activities. Symptoms can include pain that comes and goes, the joints are stiff or difficult to move and tension. Back pain can be triggered by wrong posture when sitting, standing, bending, or the effect of lifting a heavy object.
Generally, back pain will disappear within 2-12 weeks. This condition is usually not caused serious matter and can be handled only by continuing to actively move and taking painkillers. But in some cases, can be very excruciating and unbearable to hamper everyday activities.
Back Pain Sufferers in Indonesia
Especially for the elderly group (elderly), back pain is a very common condition. At least 40 per cent of people aged over 65 years suffer from back pain. PERDOSSI research results (Association of Nerve Doctors Indonesia) conducted in 14 cities in Indonesia in 2002 found a 18.1 percent of patients with lower back pain.
While research Community Oriented Programme for the Control of Rheumatic Disease (COPORD) in Indonesia found that the prevalence of back pain was 13.6 percent in women and 18.2 percent men. The incidence of back pain from a variety of symptoms based on patient visits to hospitals in Indonesia is between 3-17 percent. From these data, it can be concluded that back pain is a common condition and can affect anyone.
Recognize Different Types of Low Back Pain
Lower back pain is the most common. Yet another back pain can also be felt on the whole spine, from neck to pelvis. Here are some types of back pain that often occur:
* neck pain, which is pain and stiffness in the neck
* Sciatica, including pain due to irritation and pressure on the sciatic nerve that runs from the lower back to the feet
* Whiplash, which is an injury to the neck due to sudden movements
* Ankylosing spondylitis, which is a chronic inflammation that affects the spine and joints and muscles associated
* Shoulder pain, this condition is often a symptom of another disease
* rigidity of the shoulder, a condition that makes the shoulders can not move freely
* Slipped disc, the disc shifts backbone joints that causes persistent pain, tingling sensations and even numbness
Diagnosis is required to determine the cause and manner of treatment required.
How to Deal With Back Pain
There are various ways in which it may be done so that the pain becomes prolonged.
Previously, the rest is the recommended way doctors to treat back pain. However, it is believed that the body is not actively engaged in the long run it is bad for the back.
When you have back pain, it is important to stay active as much as possible and move as usual. Walk or perform daily activities it will help the recovery of your pain.
If your pain does not subside and feels unbearable, you can take pain relief medication such as paracetamol or ibuprofen.
Research shows that the recovery will be faster in people who keep thinking positive than those who experience stress.
Hot or cold compresses can help to relieve pain. Attach the patch or apply ointment on the affected area. It could also attach a bag of ice on the area of pain, then replace it with a warm towel compress or a warm bath.
Other forms of treatment can be carried out also by doing therapy in a clinic or hospital:
* Physiotherapy: therapy to improve motor function due to disturbance in the motion of the body frame.
* chiropractic therapy: scientific methods to diagnose, deal with, and prevent disorders of the musculoskeletal system (muscles and skeleton).
* osteopathy therapy: detection, handling, and prevent health problems with movement, stretching, and massage the muscles and joints.
Handling circuit above can be combined for back pain that has happened more than six weeks and is considered chronic. Treatment may include a combination of painkillers and one of the manual therapy, acupuncture, and attended classes physical exercise.
Very few cases involving spinal surgery. This operation will only be undertaken if all of the above does not work.
Low Back Pain in Pregnancy
Fetal weight supported spine and changes in how to stand and walk to make most women feel the pain. The pain is caused by stress and strain on the muscles and joints back.
There are other ways that can be done to reduce the pain sufferer in addition to just taking drugs.
The decision to Meet the Doctors
Without a visit to the doctor, in general, back pain will get better by itself. But if the pain does not go away and became unbearable, your doctor can be consulted.
You should also be aware of some of the symptoms that can refer to more serious illness. You should immediately see a doctor if you experience symptoms such an emergency:
* fever of 38 ° C or higher
* Not able to urinate
* Losing weight without knowing the cause
* Low back pain that does not subside after you lay down too
* The pain in the chest or upper back
* Pain in the legs and below the knee
* Pain worsening at night
* The loss of control for small and large throwing water
* feels numbness in the genital area, buttocks, or the back of the body
* Swelling in the back
In order Avoid Back Pain
Posture and exercise greatly affect the health of your spine. Try to avoid the backs of undue pressure to remain strong and supple. Here are some things that can prevent the occurrence of pain:
* Use a bare flat shoes as often as possible instead of high heels
* Align the computer keyboard position with the navel so that the shoulder is not depressed
* Align screen position with eyes to avoid neck tension
* Regular exercise such as swimming and walking
* Increase the flexibility of the back muscles with yoga or pilates exercises